When you think of a birthday, what’s the first thing that pops out of your mind? Balloons, presents, stacks of foods to celebrate, and a birthday cake! Yes, a birthday cake is a must-have in your celebration, and one cannot miss on the one thing; the first slice tradition.
But with so many cake recipes, which one should you make?
First off, let me get this straight. When there is a birthday, the cake will pop out, right? With the cake’s being thought, some flavors may appear as your idea; chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, raspberry, black forest, and the likes. But that’s too common, too ordinary to celebrate your birthday. Why not making something else?
Unless you’re going to smash the cake onto the face of the birthday person, it is paramount to make a delicious, tempting, luscious birthday cake to be tasted by everyone in the room. I have this idea of making a mango sponge layer cake with mango filling and whipped cream frosting to add some element of surprise and make the most of your celebration.
This birthday cake requires a little bit of an effort, but I promise it won’t let you down. So, let’s get started, shall we?
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cream of tartar
- 2 ½ cup mango puree
- 2/3 cup coconut milk or whole milk
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon water
To make the frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon mango puree
How to Make The Most Delicious Birthday Cake.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare 2 baking pans, and use parchment paper on each of the bottoms of the pan. Do not grease the pan.
- On a large bowl, make the flour mixture. Put in together 2 cups of cake flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Sift together and set aside.
Making the Meringue:
- Take the eggs at room temperature. Use two separate bowls and separate the whites and the yolk. Put the whites on a large mixing bowl.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the whites until it gets frothy.
- Add ½ cup of sugar and ½ teaspoon of cream tartar
- Continue to beat together until you get the form of stiff peaks. Set aside.
Making the Batter:
- In the bowl of 8 egg yolks, add ¾ of sugar.
- Add 2/3 cup of mango puree
- Add 2/3 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- Add 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Whisk them together until you get a nice, creamy texture of the batter.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the batter, pour it gradually, and whisk until it smooth.
- Put in a little of the meringue, mix it carefully using a spatula.
- Fold in the rest of the meringue and blend well. Remember not to overmix it.
- Once blend well, pour the batter into the pans. Here, I use three pans and divide the batter equally on each pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 22 to 25 minutes.
- You can check if the cake is ready by using a toothpick and see if the batter is sticking onto it. If not, then the cake is ready.
- Let the cakes cool down in the pans for around 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take them out and let them rest for another couple of minutes to cool completely.
Making the mango filling:
- Heat a medium saucepan and put 1 ¾ cup of mango puree
- Add 1/3 cup of sugar.
- Let the mixture boil, and then add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Add 3 tablespoons of water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Wait until it thickens.
Making the mango whipped cream:
- Whisk 4 oz of cream cheese.
- Add 1 ½ cup of heavy cream, and beat it slowly.
- Add 2/3 cup of sugar and ¾ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Add 3 tablespoon of mango puree and whip until it forms a stiff peak.
- Do not overwhip the mixture.
Once all the stuff is ready, you can arrange your mango birthday cake.
Put one cake on a plate, add frosting on the sides and mango filling in the centre, spread it evenly. Put the second cake on top, and repeat the process until you get it done with the third cake.
Make a complete coating using the frosting and decorate using fresh mango slices on top. I use 2 to 3 mangoes and make beautiful layers of refreshing sweetness.
Voila! Now you have a very special birthday cake to celebrate your special day. If you have any thought on this recipe, don’t forget to drop a handful of advice.