Looking at a fortune cookie, you might think that it is an original Chinese pastry. However, the first recorded fortune cookies appeared in the 19th century Kyoto. The cookies achieved global popularity after being sold in the early 1900s by a San Francisco bakery. Despite the “standard” flavor, we love fortune cookies because of the fun breaking their crunchy shells and finding fortunes inside.
The easy ingredients make homemade fortune cookie popular. Unfortunately, people with grain allergies or celiac disease cannot enjoy pastries without experiencing symptoms. Grain-free recipes are what you need to enjoy these cookies at home.
Fortune Cookie Paper Ideas
You should prepare the fortunes before making fortune cookies. Print several of them in a sheet of paper. Cut them up into small strips that you can fold. You can also write the fortunes with a food-grade marker for a personal touch.
Print basic, positive wisdom or suggestions, like “love yourself” or “count your blessings.” If you experience creativity shots, type/write funny texts, even internal jokes you only share with someone special. Keep the fortunes in a small lidded container to keep them hygienic.
Grain-free Fortune Cookie Recipe with Almond Flour
This gluten-free fortune cookie uses ingredients like almond and tapioca flour. The results are light brown pastries with slightly darkened edges, which add characters.
85 grams of almond flour (sifted)
43 grams of tapioca flour (sifted)
4 tablespoons of heavy cream
3 tablespoons of butter (melted)
31 grams of coconut sugar
1 gram of salt
5 ml of vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 200o C (400o F). Use medium heat if you use a skillet.
- Mix the dry ingredients first. Stir until everything is mixed well.
- Add the egg and other liquid ingredients. Stir slowly until you get a smooth batter.
- Layer the baking tray with baking paper. Use a tablespoon to spread the batter in circles. Each circle must be around 6 to 7 cm.
- Bake the cookies until you get golden brown color, with slightly browner edges.
- If you cook with a skillet, quickly spread the batter on a hot surface. You may need to spread a little butter on the surface. Cook until the batter no longer sticky and you can flip it over.
- Place one fortune at the center of every warm cookie.
- Fold each cookie into half. Fold again using the rim of a glass.
Place each healthy fortune cookie in a muffin tin to keep its shape. Wait until the cookies are cool and crispy. Serve immediately.
Grain-free Fortune Cookie Recipe with Cornstarch
What if you cannot find many ingredients for grain-free cookies? Try this simpler fortune cookie recipe using cornstarch flour and skillet (or pancake maker).
32 grams of cornstarch flour (sifted)
43 grams of sugar
30 ml of corn oil
30 ml of water
- Preheat skillet or pancake maker to 170o C (350o F).
- Beat egg while slowly adding sugar. Keep beating until the egg turns thick and yellow.
- Stir cornstarch flour while slowly adding oil. Add the egg mixture and water. Keep stirring until the batter is smooth.
- Use a tablespoon to drop a round batter on the hot surface, about 6 to 7 cm in diameter.
- Cook each side until the batter is golden brown and no longer sticky.
- Place each fortune in a cookie. Fold into a half circle. Fold again with the rim of a glass.
Place cookies in a muffin tin. Wait until they are cool and crispy.
How to Get Creative with Fortune Cookies
The simple fortune cookies are perfect canvases to get creative. You can serve them using various ingredients. For example, dip one end of the cookie into melted chocolate (dark, sweet, or white). If you crave more chocolate, dip the entire cookie into melted chocolate, and drizzle melted white chocolate on the top.
Use the chocolate to make edible decorations stick. Add colorful sprinkles, crushed candies, or edible pearls on the sticky sides. For more savory treats, crush peanuts or cashews and sprinkle them on the coated cookies. You can also use honey to replace chocolate.
Tips to Store Fortune Cookies
You must keep fortune cookies in an airtight container. Place the container in a cool and dry place. Don’t let the sunlight to shine directly to the cookie jar (especially if it is transparent). Only open the cookie jar when you want to take the cookies out.
Standard fortune cookies have a shelf life of two to three months. Individual wrapping will make them stay fresh longer, especially if you store them properly. Eat or serve all the fortune cookies within a month for ideal conditions.
Enjoy Your Fortune and Stay Healthy!
Traditional fortune cookies may contain risky ingredients for people with allergies or celiac disease. However, the simple recipe opens a lot of possibilities to get creative. Have fun finding a fortune in each grain-free fortune cookie you make!