No one will dispute the delicious flavor of banana cake. The banana in its main ingredient creates soft texture and subtle sweetness. Since it is “cake”, you may expect to finding eggs in its ingredients. However, what if you are a vegan or allergic to eggs? Can you make this banana treat without using them?
The answer is: yes! Eggless banana cake is as delicious as its “normal” counterpart. Many cultures even have eggless banana cake in their recipes, albeit in different variations.
Eggless Banana Cake in Various Countries
Banana cake is available in various forms throughout the world. Bánh chuối is a Vietnamese banana cake that resembles bread pudding. This cake can be baked or steamed, depending on the recipe variation you make. Like Western-style cake, the Vietnam version uses ripe bananas. There are also versions that are cooked with sweet potatoes and sticky rice.
Another eggless banana cake is Chinese banana roll, which resembles Japanese mochi in texture. It is made of glutinous rice flour and tapioca, cooked using the steaming process. Chinese banana roll often only features banana flavoring, and the filing is made of other ingredients, like red bean paste.
Indonesian banana cake is also made of glutinous rice flour, with sugar and coconut milk. The banana is not mixed into the dough but cut up and turned into the whole filing. The cake is eaten warm, usually for breakfast.
Finally, we have banana cake recipes that follow the Western cake style. If you want a treat recipe that mixes bananas into the batter, this is your option.
Simple, Eggless Banana Cake
Here is an easy recipe for an eggless banana cake you can immediately follow. The ingredients are easy, and you spend less than 90 minutes to bake a perfect cake.
1 ½ cup of flour (all-purpose or gluten-free)
2 or 3 ripe, medium-sized bananas (mashed)
1 ¼ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
¼ teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup of chopped pecans
½ cup of sugar
¼ cup of milk
¼ cup of thick yogurt
These ingredients are enough to make eight servings of banana cake.
- Pre-heat oven for 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Place flour (sifted), baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground nutmeg and ginger, and cinnamon powder in a bowl. Whisk until all are mixed.
- In another bowl, mix oil, mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and sugar. Beat until mixed properly using medium speed.
- Pour yogurt to the wet ingredient. Mix again.
- Pour dry ingredient and milk in an alternating way into the wet ingredient. Start and finish with the dry ingredient. Beat the mixture slowly while doing it, but don’t overdo it.
- Add chopped pecans to the batter. Mix slowly with a spatula.
- Pour batter to the pan. Add pecans on top as decorations.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Take out the cake after 30 minutes and cover it with aluminium foil to prevent browning before baking it again.
- Take out the cake after you finish baking. Stick in a toothpick to see if the cake is baked perfectly (the toothpick should be dry after being pulled out).
If you follow the recipe closely, the result will be a moist cake that’s not too sweet.
Tips to Make Banana Cake
Eggless cake recipe is enough for people with egg allergy to enjoy the delicious banana cake. However, if you prefer a vegan version, change the milk with the nondairy product. Almond or soy milk is a popular choice to make a vegan cake, and the result is similar to using regular milk. Make sure they are plain and not from the “low-fat” variety.
You can replace the pecans with other nuts as you like. Walnuts, hazelnuts, or peanuts are great companions for banana cake. You can reduce the use of sugar if the bananas are sweet enough, or replace it with brown sugar.
How to Serve Banana Cake
There are many ways you can serve eggless banana cake. This cake goes perfectly with black coffee or tea, especially if you don’t add sugar to balance the sweetness. Some people love adding whipped cream or pour chocolate sauce to the cake. If you don’t have a nut allergy, spread the cake with Nutella or peanut butter.
Want to finish the cake as soon as possible? Cut it up into small morsels. Place them in a glass, and top it to the brim with strawberry slices and ice cream. Pour chocolate sauce and sprinkle nuts on top to make a sundae. Or, make your parfait by alternating between cake slices, cream, and strawberry slices to create several layers.
Banana Cake, Delicious without Eggs
Don’t let egg allergy or vegetarian status stop you from enjoying the delicious cake. This banana cake recipe is ideal for making a snack, birthday cake, or dessert. Since the ripe bananas make the cake moist, make sure to finish it as quickly as possible before it becomes soggy.