Mmmmm pie. It was totally one of those days. I have not made pie in forever which is totally odd since I grew up on the pie. But none of that store bought shit. Hell no. That is isn’t pie. Its cardboard and sugar posing as pie. It’s pie fakery.
Pie reminds me of summers where my mom and I would head up to the peach farm and buy bags and bags of fresh peaches. We’d always eat one by the car. You had to eat it outside cause it was so juicy it would just run everywhere and you were one hot sticky delicious mess. Then, we would come home and save a bag for eating and a bag for pie making. We’d make and roll out fresh pie dough and start chopping peaches like it was nobody’s business. We were pie masters. Fresh pie does not need a lot if any sugar. Since fresh fruit is sweet as is so we would just cut and pile that high in the crust. The house smelled amazing. Its summer lovin’ from the oven.
That was a story about peach pie but today I made the apple. Why? Well, peaches just aren’t in season peeps. So no peach pie. But apple pie is equally delicious and still going strong here so apple pie it is!
My advice is to do yourself a favor and drop kick that grocery store shit in the trash and start making some real pie. Once you get the hang of it, its as easy as…pie. (Had to)
(Plus you are going to feel like a rockstar when everyone comes home and sees that you made the fresh pie from scratch. That’s where it’s at.)
- 1½ c. whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ c. sprouted spelled flour *( You can sub either more pastry flour OR oat flour works awesome)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- ⅔ c. coconut oil, cold
- ½ tsp salt
- ice water
- 4 softball sized apples** (if you have smaller ones just double up, no stressin’)
- 2 Tbsp. sprouted spelled flour
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ Tsp. ginger, ground
- ½ tsp. cardamom, ground
- 1-2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of sea salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp. coconut sugar (optional if you like a sweeter pie)
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance butter (If not vegan any butter will do!)
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Add the flours, sugar, salt to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add in the coconut oil and work it thru the flour mixture until it is crumbly. (Highly recommend using your hands)
- Add ice water slowly and keep mixing until the dough can be formed into a ball. Form into the ball, wrap with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until firm. (About 30 minutes)
- While your dough is doing its thing, start peeling and chopping those apples into thin slices. Place into the bowl. Add in the spices, sugar (if using) lemon juice and salt. Stir to combine and then set aside.
- Remove dough from the fridge. Lightly flour your work surface. Roll out dough as thin as possible and then carefully transfer to well-greased pie pan. You might have to press the dough down into the pan and work with it a little. Cut off the excess.
- Take apple mixture and pour into the pie crust.
- To make the topping:
- Take the flour and sugar and add to a small bowl. Cut in the butter till it resembles small peas. Sprinkle on top.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet than in the oven on the center rack. Bake for about 45 minutes or until apples are soft and crust is brown.