I think hummus made with nutritional yeast is my new fav. Don’t ask me why I’ve never made this before. I’ve made tons of sauces with nutritional yeast and used it in countless other ways. I’ve played with so many different types of hummus as well but I never put the two together. Until today. And it was magical. It’s so yummy and goes with pretty much everything. I’ve been a dipping machine and eating it right from the container. No shame, it’s delicious and oh-so-addicting.
Nutritional Yeast is quite the powerhouse and to say I’m obsessed with it is an understatement. Not only does it pack quite the nutritional punch, it just adds such a nice flavor to whatever you pair it with. Its nutty, creamy and well, cheesy tasting.
So whats so awesome about it? Well just to name a few:
- It’s a great vegetarian source of B-12
- Complete source of protein containing all essential 18 amino acids
- High in folic acid
- Good source of fiber
And did I mention it’s delicious? So sprinkle away!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can seriously use up whatever veggies you have on hand. I had some red bell peppers, carrots and onions at the time but anything would really work here. Once you have that yummy hummus and sauce you can create your own custom wrap. It makes for a great light lunch or you could add in some tempeh or other protein sources for some more staying power.
“Cheesy” Hummus Wrap with Tomato Cashew Cream Sauce
A “cheesy” flavored hummus is paired with tons of veggies and is all wrapped up with some big leafy greens. It is served with a side of tomato cashew cream sauce for that extra yum factor.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed (this equates to about 2 cups)
- 2 heaping Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1.5 Tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 4-5 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 c. cashews (soaked about 2-3 hours)
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 4 large swiss chard leaves
- 1/4 c. carrots
- 1/4 c. red onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- Soak cashews in water for about 2-3 hours.
- Add cashews, about half the water, and the seasonings to a high-powered food processor or blender. Blend.
- Add the rest of the water until you reach the desired consistency. (I thinned mine out alot so I could pour it)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse. Add more liquid if needed.
- Season to taste.
- Take one leaf and slather in some hummus, add in veggies and wrap up. Dip or pour cashew sauce on.
- *You can use any veggie you like here! The world is your oyster. This is just what I had on hand at the moment.