Ok, glorious pics these are not but they sure are tasty snacks! It’s shocking I know, but I’m slowly coming out of my mango on everything phase and am now slowly getting into my apple on everything phase. (you have been warned)
These little bites actually I threw together for my mom who is babysitting my nephew for the weekend. He’s almost two and loves his snacks. That is a trait we definitely share, it must be hereditary. I baked them in a small muffin tin pan so that they were the perfect size for his little kiddo hands but they should work in a large, regular sized muffin tin as well.
The trick to these is just packing them down a bit to get everything to hold together. I highly recommend your hands. You could use a spoon but let’s face it, smashing food with your hands is just way more fun. I preheated the oven and had these all mixed up before the oven was even at the right temp. That is how quickly they come together.
They stay good for about a week if you put them in an airtight container or you can freeze them up. Enjoy!
- 1 c. cooked quinoa
- 1 c. quick cooking oats
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 c. Apple, small dice
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal
- 1/3 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- dash of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray a small muffin pan with a nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water. Stir and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine quinoa and oats.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and spices. Add to the oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Mix in the diced apple and flax meal mixture.
- Using a spoon (or hands! I prefer this method) drop mixture into muffin pan. I packed it down slightly to make the mixture more firm.
- Place in oven and bake roughly 20-25 minutes or until bites are firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!